July
27, 2012
I
never did think that a wildfire could affect me or my family. Never
have I ever though about having to pack up and be ready to leave at a
moment's notice. How am I supposed to look around at my life and my
home and decide what is “important
enough” to take with me? How can I be expected to
leave behind things that I have lived with all my life?
All
the things that you hear during a time like this, you don't know what
is true and what isn't. Being in this situation really puts things
into perspective.
You see very quickly what things are most important to you. You
suddenly become extremely attached to everything you have. As you
scroll through pictures of houses ablaze, and flames standing 30 feet
tall, and Facebook statuses about all the prayers people are sending,
you see the occasional
glimmer of happiness
from somebody not part of the group.
They
talk about dance recitals and concerts, Hawaiian vacations, and what
movie they want to see. The famous crowd worries about things like
tour dates, photo shoots, and book releases. You stop and wonder: How
can they be so oblivious?
And
that's when you realize that only a few days ago, you were one of
those people. You were moving on with your life. The closest you ever
were to a disaster was that action movie you saw last week. You
didn't worry because you didn't have to.
I
try to go through my day as I usually would, but it feels strange.
As I shuffle through my music, I can't help but feel something that
is almost guilt. It seems like your normal life is gone. Obsolete.
And
it is. In the course of a few days, your life has been turned upside
down, and nothing is as it was.
***this was written several years ago, during the Waldo Canyon Fire.***
No comments:
Post a Comment